Monday, July 7, 2014

Happy Independence Day!

I never got a video from Uncle Dan, but hope he´s doing well! And my knees are fine haha. Seriously! I´m doing what I can to keep them okay... after the mission is probably when I´m going to have more problems, but I´ll save worrying for that later :). Antônio Carlos is right... dating here is so different. They don´t really do dates here. And usually when someone turns 16, they start to 'steady date' and the boy has to ask permission from the dad which I think is pretty cool.
As for our 4th of July, we spent most of the day in our house due to the world cup game. I heard that Neymar is out which is a bummer but I still have faith that Brasil can win! I have no idea what´s going on in the World Cup right now, but I have faith haha. So for Independence Day, we worked normally until the game. The only thing I really did to celebrate was sport my red and blue skirt with a white top, and sing the National Anthem after the game with Sisters Smith and Martin when all our neighbors were setting off fireworks to celebrate Brasil´s winning... I don´t think that´s the right word.
The rest of our week was pretty good. We got to celebrate Sister Martin´s birthday on the second, which was great. We also started teaching quite possibly my biggest challenge yet--an older lady with twelve children and 36 grandchildren who all live in the same street. The challenge--she´s practically the Catholic pioneer of the neighborhood. Before they built the church in that area of Eduardo Gomes, everyone used to meet in her house. It´s going to be difficult to convert her, but I´m ready to accept the challenge. I want to see her and all her kids and grandkids there in the Church of Jesus Christ! Imagine the influence she´s going to have on her neighborhood!
Sorry this e-mail is super short, but not much else happened this week. I found a quotation that I really like--"The simple secret is this: put your trust in the Lord, do your best, then leave the rest to Him." -Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin
I know that when we do our absolute best, the Lord makes up for the rest and is pleased with our work. We just need to confide in Him and give Him all we have. I´m so grateful for the blessings of this work. I love these people, I love this work and I love our Heavenly Father and His Son. And I love you guys! Hurrah for Israel!

Com amor,
Sister Ball

Oh! We live on the second floor of a house and it´s great living with the other sisters! I´ve been lucky enough to not have any problems with any living arrangements yet. Don´t know what I did to deserve such good companions and 'roommates' but I´m sure grateful!

Pictures with my new mission president, Presidente and Sister Gomes.  Sister Martins birthday breakfast, her birthday, and our beautiful area!  Holding up 4 fingers for Happy Independence Day!
















No comments:

Post a Comment